Monday, March 2, 2009

Exclusive Shah Rukh Khans Cheerleading Girls

Anushka Sharma joins the cheerleaders on the stage


The Indian Premier League is just a month away and hoping to cheer for Shah Rukh Khan ’s team -- the Kolkata Knight Riders -- are a group of 24 young girls. The girls are vying for a place in the six-member cheerleading squad to be chosen by audience votes during a unique television show called Knights and Angels, which kicked off on February 28 on NDTV Imagine. The brainchild of Shah Rukh Khan, this much-awaited reality dance show will trace the hunt for six spirited and talented girls to lead the cheerleading squad of the Kolkata Knight Riders.



Adding his final stamp of authority would be judge Sourav Ganguly, the inimitable icon of Indian cricket and captain of Kolkata Knight Riders. Shah Rukh has also managed to rope in his Rab Ne Bana De Jodi heroine, Anushka Sharma to judge the show, which will be hosted by VJ-turned actor Purab Kohli. After an extensive audition conducted across key metros in India, the 24 short-listed girls will be groomed and trained by the biggest names in the Indian entertainment industry. From there, the final six will be chosen on qualities like energy, style, chutzpah, poise, personality, attitude, grace, rhythm, and fire.


They will then be mentored by ace choreographer Shiamak Davar and taken through their paces by the revolving guest judges. Sounds exciting? Well, Shah Rukh is pretty excited himself. "Cricket is a perfect blend of hard work and entertainment. We are very excited about the whole challenge of finding the best cheerleading squad for our Knights. These girls will become a key part in our quest for victory this season. The competition is tough and the boys will need all the support they can get on field," he said. Well, let’s hear from the girls.


In the picture: Girls give it their best shot as they perform with Anushka Sharma (centre) during the show.


Sunanda Hiroo


Name: Sunanda Hiroo
Age: 22
Education: Graduation
Hometown: Kolkata


"I have travelled abroad where people respect the concept of cheerleaders. I think it’s a great concept. Now that it has come to India, we all should appreciate it. Cheerleaders are basically to support the team, they are the backbone to boost them." Asked how it will help her career if she is selected, she quickly says, "It will be great if I make it to the top six. We will get to travel all over India with the team and meet international players."


Talking about diet and fitness, Sunanda says, "We are brilliantly taken care of. We go to the gym in the morning and advised the right amount of sleep. We practice for 12 hours a day with regular breaks. So, did she get to meet SRK? "Oh yes. Shah Rukh Khan is simply adorable. We all were shocked when he walked in. He told us to have the right attitude."


Preeji Benger


Name: Preeji Benger
Age: 18
Education: 2nd year BMS [Bachelor of Management Studies]
Hometown: Mumbai


"I wanted to take part in this show because it’s a great opportunity for any girl to try something different. I think one can make a career in this if one loves cricket or any kind of sport." Asked how different cheerleading is from dancing she said, "Cheerleading is a part of dancing. In cheerleading, you have to have the right kind of spirit to pass on to your team. While selecting us, they will look at our performance, energy level and the interaction with the audience. So it’s fun. We are going to cheer in an Indian way. Cheerleading is not 24/7, so we can get back to our routine after the match."


Ananya Bera


Name: Ananya Bera
Age: 16
Education: 11th standard
Hometown: Kolkata


"I want to become a cheerleader because I am from Kolkata and I want to cheer the Kokata Knight Riders. I loved the concept of cheerleaders because there is nothing negative about it." She continues, "Cheerleading is not popular in India so by bringing this concept people will think positively about it. It’s basically a team of girls who are going to cheer for their team and motivate and entertain them. Everything is done keeping Indian culture and sentiments in mind. So it’s going to be fun." Asked whether there was any other reason for her taking part in this show, she replies, "I participated in this show because Shah Rukh Khan is my favourite actor and it’s his team. I haven’t met him though I have spoken to him during a telephonic interview. He told us to work hard to be his Angles." But what about studies? Ananya says that her college is very supportive. "IPL will happen in April so there will be vacation during that time. So I’m not going to miss college."


Rupali


Name: Rupali
Age: 15
Education: 11th standard
Hometown: Mumbai


"Kolkata Knight Riders is my favourite team and I’m really excited to be a part of this show. I am also part of this show because it is SRK’s team. If I make it to final six, I will be happy to cheer for my favourite team. I will also get to an opportunity to travel and meet lots of people. There is not much difference between dancing and cheerleading. A cheerleader has to have the right attitude and spirit to motivate the team members. You dance for the judges in a competition here while here we dance for the team." Talking about her diet she says, "Red Chillies [producers] have taken brilliant care of us. We eat and sleep well, and exercise regularly to stay fit." Talking about Shah Rukh she said, "He is a superb person and it was the best moment when we all met him. He told us to give our best and not to be disheartened if we don’t make it to final. It’s going to be healthy but tough competition. Let’s hope for the best."


Sana


Name: Sana
Age: 18
Education: Under graduate Hometown: Nagpur


"It’s a new concept in our country which I find interesting. Cheerleading is not about wearing only short costume or anything vulgar; it is about cheering for your team." She adds, "I have just completed my acting course in Anupam Kher?s acting school .It s big platform and exposure for me since I am into acting and modelling." So how was it meeting with SRK? When I first met Shah Rukh Khan, I didn’t utter a single word out of shock. Even in my wildest dream I never thought I would meet him. All of us were just pinching each other to check whether it’s just a dream. He wished us all the best and motivated us. We are enjoying our busy schedule."


Shruti


Name: Shruti
Age: 21
Education: Under graduate and script writer
Hometown: Mumbai


"I am a writer by profession and I am looking at exploring my creative talent," Shruti says. So how different is cheerleading from dancing? "There is a vast difference between cheerleading and dancing. Cheerleading is not just about dancing. It is about your energy, spirit, stamina and attitude. Dancing is jus a form of expression." Talking about the experience being on this show she says, "We have being working very hard and it’s a pleasure to be part of this show. It?s a learning experience for all of us." So what has she learnt so far from the show? "I have made new friends and if I make it to the top six, then I will meet more people.. It’s an experience of a lifetime."


Technorati Tags:


Del.Icio.Us Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment