Friday, June 13, 2008

Indian television general knowledge quiz show, ‘Paanchvi Pass’ based on the US programme ‘Are you smarter than a Ten Year Old?’


People should learn how important studies are through this show,” Shah Rukh Khan states. His Indian television general knowledge quiz show, ‘Paanchvi Pass’ based on the US programme ‘Are you smarter than a Ten Year Old?’, was launched in London last Tuesday. The series kicks off on June 13 on the Star Plus Channel in the UK and Europe.


After taking over from Amitabh Bachchan in the Indian TV equivalent of ‘Who wants to be a Millionaire’, this is the second time the ‘King Khan’ is the quizmaster or ‘Head Boy’ as he is called in the show. Why is he doing it? “I love the show; it gives me pleasure to see kids studying in a fun way. My own children Suhana and Aryan like it a lot.” Does he know the answers himself? The honest Khan comes clean: “I don’t know most of the answers; it’s fun to learn through a quiz.” Was SRK a good student? “I used to come top in class as I was naughty and the teacher made me stand on top of the desk!” Khan jokes.


Following Shah Rukh onto the small screen will be Salman Khan with his reality show ‘10 Ka Dum’ and Akshay Kumar with the Indian version of ‘Fear Factor’. Has SRK started a trend for Bollywood A listers moving into television? “I don’t think I set a trend. It was Amitabh Bachchan who really set the trend. I wish Salman and Akki all the best!”


No competition


Shah Rukh Khan’s hockey film ‘Chak De! India’ won the Best Film, Best Director, Best Story and Best Actor awards at last weekend’s International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFAs) in Bangkok. The ‘King’ is in heaven: “I proved I could do a significant role without songs or heroines. The film consolidates my reputation as a good actor. Today I am competing with myself, not with any newcomer or other heroes.”


Shilpa’s journey



“No journey of mine is complete without losing a bag,” Shilpa Shetty sighed. The stunner was in Dubai to celebrate her birthday last Sunday but her luggage never arrived. Further, Shilpa ended up missing her own birthday party as she came down with a fever. Why is Shilpa doing a guest ‘item’ dance number in the forthcoming ‘Dostana’? “I know it will be one popular number. Everyone feels I have done a lot of item numbers but it has actually been just one. Aishwarya Rai has done more item numbers, so many of them!”


Faking it


Spotted earlier this week in Bedford, England: ageing funnyman Govinda and villain Shakti Kapoor. Govinda is currently in the UK filming Jagmohan ‘Provoked’ Mundra’s latest ‘Excuse Me Please’. Govinda plays a mature nerd who wants to have sex without marriage. Is it the Bollywood version of ‘The 40 yr Old Virgin’? Govinda confesses: “Yes, it is a sex comedy.” How will he play a 40 yr old virgin? “I guess I’ll just have to fake it, Ha! Ha!”


Dropping an ‘e’


Bollywood astrologers are busy at work again. The latest star to adopt a name spelling change is Suniel Shetty. He is not saying why he has reverted to the original spelling of his name, Sunil. Could it have anything to do with the fact that the additional ‘e’ in his name did not bring the promised good luck at the box-office?


Meanwhile, singer turned actor Sonu Nigam has added two extra letters to his surname. The talented singer but useless actor wants to be known now as ‘Sonu Niigaam’. He will be performing live across the UK from July 15.


Bollywood at the Barbican


Newcomers to Bollywood in the UK can catch next weekend’s Bollywood classics season at the Barbican in London. In addition to the screening of the ever popular ‘Sholay’, Shah Rukh Khan fans can relive memories of his first mainstream romantic role with ‘Dilwale.

No comments:

Post a Comment