Thursday, February 26, 2009

The child actors of Slumdog Millionaire received a grand welcome

Slumdog Millionaire kids arrive


The child actors of Slumdog Millionaire received a grand welcome when they arrived at Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport on Thursday morning. Ayush Mahesh Khedekar, Mohammed Azharuddin, Rubina Ali, Tanay Chedda, Ashutosh Lobo Gajiwala, Tanvi Lonkar and Madhur Mittal were greeted with cheers and garlands, as their relatives waited eagerly on the sidelines to receive them.



In the picture: Ayush Khedekar, Tanay Chheda and Rubina Ali in the airport.


26sld3


Rubina Ali’s father Rafique Qureshi, a slum dweller, came with a dozen relatives to receive his daughter. "I am so glad to be here. I’m proud of my daughter. She has made our country proud. Jai Ho!" Rafique said excitedly. "Our niece has not only become famous in our slums but she’s become world famous," added Rubina’s uncle Dilshad Mohammad Khan, who had accompanied Rubina to Los Angeles.


In the picture: Rubina Ali’s father Rafique Qureshi with his daughter.


Slumdog Millionaire kids arrive


A large crowd had assembled to welcome the children. A fleet of cars, including Mercedes Benz, waited for each child, who was then taken to their respective homes. Azharuddin ’s father, Mohammad Ismail said, "We have arranged for music and garlands. The preparation has been going on since last night. It’s going to be party time now." Mohammed Ismail sounded cheerful despite the fact that he is suffering from tuberculosis. Even the fact that his economic condition has not improved has not lessened his happiness. I hope the government gives us a flat, so that I can spend the rest of my life decently," he said.The Maharashtra Housing Development Authority had requested Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to allocate two flats to slum-dwellers Rubina and Azharuddin, who acted in Slumdog Millionaire, but Chavan turned down the request.


In the picture: Mohammed Azharuddin.


Slumdog Millionaire kids arrive


Prabha Chheda, Tanay’s grandmother, arrived at the airport with a ’Welcome Tanay’ banner. "I am so happy to see my child back," she gushed. "I made this banner especially to welcome him."


Slumdog Millionaire kids arrive


"We had a great party time," said Madhur Mittal, adding, "I cannot express my happiness in words." So how will he celebrate the big win? "Party even more! I am still living this dream," he says. "I loved the entire experience. The best part was Disney Land!" Ayush says. "I loved that place."


Technorati Tags:


Del.Icio.Us Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment