Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bollywood filmmakers have of late begun looking at books and literature to take inspiration for stories

3 Idiot


The Booker used to be the most exciting publishing moment but now you have Salman Khan playing Chetan Bhagat, which is a cooler thing, says the author of bestsellers ’Five Point Someone’ and ’One Night at a Call Centre’.


Bollywood filmmakers have of late begun looking at books and literature to take inspiration for stories.



"It is exciting that modern Indian stories are finding a place in bookstores and even doing well. We are no longer writing for western audiences," says Bhagat.


Chetan hit the bull’s eye through his first novel ’Five Point Someone’ which is a story of three IIT students who are unable to cope with the pressures of life. Now Munnabhai fame director Rajkumar Hirani is making 3 Idiots on this with Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor in the lead.


While Salman starrer Hello is based on ’One Night at a Call Centre’ and slated for release on 10th October.


Bhagat thinks that Bollywood is an ideal platform to reach the Hindi readers.


"For me Hindi readers are as classy as the English readers. Hindi is my country’s language and if I don’t reach the Hindi readers, I can not call myself an Indian writer. Bollywood is also an effort in the same direction. Don’t forget I wrote the script of ’Hello’ in Hindi," says Chetan.


"I believe the hand of God is on me. My destiny is being shaped up by higher powers. Forget superstars, I had no idea my stories will ever become films," says the IIT and IIM scholar.

No comments:

Post a Comment